Brief update of Dumas’ and my visit to Haiti
Dear Friends of Sové Lavi (Saving Lives) and Haiti,
This is just a note to give you a brief update of Dumas’ and my visit to Haiti and to advise you how your generous donations are being served.
- We were blessed to have helped build a new school for Sacre Coeur, near our clinic, with Foundation Digicel. Digicel is the largest cell phone provider in the country and has committed to building 130 schools. You’ll see in the attachments, pictures of the school, before and after. We were fortunate to have the new President of Haiti, President Martelly, join the opening ceremony. You’ll see the beautiful photo of the children with the President, along with a photo of a very handsome man in the back with sunglasses, who happens to be Dumas!
- Dumas and I, through Sové Lavi (Saving Lives), our nonprofit in Haiti, are helping Sacre Coeur raise money for educational scholarships. Tuition, books, and uniform are only $130/year. The school holds 230 students and 30 dropped out last year because their parents could not afford the $130. Still, breaks my heart…
- The children also often go to school with no food in the tummies, making it difficult to learn. We are also helping the Priests of the school find a source for a feeding program for the children.
- We audited the 34 wells that we have drilled in the Artibonite Valley. Cholera is on the increase in Haiti, 50,000 new cases last month. We are still committed to drilling wells to save lives and give people human dignity.
- Our clinic is functioning quite well. We are still treating about 10,000 patients a year for the cost equivalent of 35 US cents.
- Dumas and I visited 2 orphanages. I just wanted to scoop them all up and bring them back to Texas with me.
If you have an interest in helping financially sponsor any of these projects, please let me know. $130 will help one child go to school, a well costs $5,000, payroll for the clinic is only $3,000/month All of your contributions go directly to these products, staff in the U.S. are strictly volunteers. Please check the Donation page for more information.
Join Sové Lavi in saving lives in Haiti.
Mesi Anpil (thank you in Haitian Kreyol)!
Blessings to all,